Monday 21 January 2008

Morse Code and Oscar Peterson

Morse Code
Here we are again then.
I'm re-learning Morse Code to a reasonable standard at the moment, and I'm writing a course for others at the same time.
I decided to focus on two letter groups - because the way I look at it, ever word over one letter long is made up of two letter combinations (hear me out on this one), and if I can just get those stuck in my head, then it should make the reading much quicker. I'm at about 20 words per minute at the moment, but it seems to be increasing reasonably.

Back to the 'two letter' thing...
While I'm thinking about my friend Olivia, the word 'FREAK' has popped into my mind. This can be split entirely into two letter groups, as far as the ear is concerned. FR, RE, EA and AK.
I'm learning the groups at 25, 30, 33 and 38 wpm at the moment. There are a smidgen under 700 to learn, so it shouldn't take too long.
I was thinking about attempting 3 letter combinations as well, but there are 17.5 thousand of those, so it might take a little longer.

A fact for the day.
I've decided to try and find something interesting to say in every posting. Whether it's a fact, a question, an observation or just a grumble, I want it to be something other than just a simple reflection of what's happened to me in the last few days.
My first fact is about one of the finest musicians to have ever lived - Oscar Peterson.


Oscar Peterson

Oscar Emmanuel Peterson was born in 1925, and died just under a month ago at the age of 83 on the 23rd December 2007.
Oscar's piano playing was so energetic and alive that the stage almost shook with his presence, but the fact is, despite this energy he graced the stage with, and despite leaving school at 14 to become a professional pianist, Oscar was almost crippled with arthritis - hardly able to even button his own shirt.

Watch this to get an idea of his mastery


RIP Oscar.

Matt

No comments: